Covid-19 Mask Update
9/27 MASK UPDATE:
- Every student and Staff member will be required to wear a face mask starting tomorrow, September 27th Medical Exemption Forms are located in the button below
Dear CVA Families:
We are just days away from welcoming back students to Carbon Valley and we wanted to provide a few updates on COVID-19 protocols and what school will look like when your children return to school tomorrow.
We sincerely appreciate your patience and understanding as we try to start school in the midst of a pandemic. While we know these protocols may change based on vaccination and infection rates, we are ready to start school and get as many students back to learning in person as possible.
At CVA, we are offering families the control to make their own decision about masks. We are counting on you to make the best decision that is right for your family. CVA will not be mandating or requiring that all students and staff wear masks when we return to school tomorrow. We are also in full support of anyone that wants to wear one. CVA fully supports a person’s choice to wear a mask regardless of their vaccine status.
Our commitment as a school is to cultivate and nurture healthy, safe and inclusive learning environments for your children. Classroom and school communities that promote acceptance and understanding of others perspectives and thinking. I hope you are willing to join us in this commitment for the benefit of the CVA community.
Here are a few of the guidelines we are expecting us all within the CVA COMMUNITY to follow:
- As stated above, CVA is not requiring properly worn facial masks for all students and staff yet strongly encourage it. Students and staff who are not vaccinated but who properly wear masks while indoors will not be required to quarantine if they are exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Because of federal regulations, face coverings must be worn on all CVA buses regardless of vaccination status. If this requirement is lifted later, we will let you know.
- All visitors to schools, including parents, are strongly encouraged to wear a mask upon entering the school. CVA is committed to limiting exposure to COVID-19 to students and staff from individuals visiting the school for any reason. Visitors stay less than 20 minutes.
- Volunteers will not be allowed to serve in classrooms through September. Prior to the end of September, CVA’s Board will re-evaluate based on the positivity rate and number of quarantines in schools.
- Student temperatures will be taken upon entry to school. K-5 students will be eating with their class during lunch time.
- Hands will be encouraged to be washed multiple times throughout each school day. Hand sanitizer will be available in every area of the school.
- Families are urged to check daily for these common COVID-19 symptoms, and to keep children at home if ANY of these symptoms are present, until COVID-19 can be confirmed or ruled out by an approved diagnostic test:
- Feeling feverish, having chills or registering a temperature above 100 degrees F
- New or unexplained persistent cough
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Unusual or unexplained fatigue
- Muscle aches
- Sore throat
- Nausea or vomiting
- Runny nose or congestion
- Students exhibiting any of or a combination of the above symptoms will be cared for in our COVID clinic and possibly sent home until COVID-19 can be confirmed or ruled out by an approved diagnostic test.
- Activities considered “high risk” by the Colorado Department of Education and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment will require students and staff to wear masks during certain activities when performed indoors, including highly active physical education classes, and choir at the middle level,
- Those fully vaccinated will not be required to quarantine if exposed to someone with COVID-19.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 positive cases and quarantines at all schools, as well as work with local health officials on our protocols and response going forward. There may be changes as we get into the school year, but we will continue to keep you updated.
Thank you again for your patience and support. Feel free to find me during our Back to School Night to talk more about this. I would enjoy hearing your feedback and making connections through the conversation.
I believe that we are in this TOGETHER!!
Michele D. Saller