HOW TO MAKE BOOGIE BOTS! AN ELECTRONICS PROJECT FOR KIDS
It’s an easy bot to make and perfect for kids of mixed ages. Making bots is the perfect STEAM project!
This article will walk you through the materials and steps to do this easy electronics project for kids and build your very own Boogie Bot.
- ADULT SUPERVISION REQUIRED DUE TO THE USE OF ELECTRIC COMPONENTS.
- Ensure that battery packs with batteries in them are always switched off when not in use.
- The exposed ends of unattached wires with a battery pack in the ON position can shock you and/or heat up and smoke.
- These motors get hot! Be sure to monitor the motor and turn it off if it begins to get too hot!
- AA battery pack with switch
- 2 AA batteries
- 1.5V-3V hobby motor
- Wire strippers
- Alligator clips (optional)
- Electrical Tape
- Large plastic lid
- Duct tape
- Corks (5 per bot)
- Hot glue gun
- Googly eyes
- Strip the plastic ends of the wires on the battery pack to expose the metal wire beneath. Add batteries to the battery pack.
- Test the battery pack and motor by first turning the battery pack on. Hold the exposed ends of each wire and touch the motor leads. The leads on the motor look like loops. The motor should spin. If you have alligator clips, use them to connect the red wire end to one motor lead and the black wire end to the other motor lead. Turn the battery pack on and make sure the motor spins.
- Feed the exposed end of the red wire through one of the motor leads. Twist around the lead and secure in place with electrical tape. Repeat with the black wire and the other motor lead.
- With the lid facing down, duct tape the motor/battery assembly pack to the lid with the rotor sticking past the lid edge. The rotor is the spinning rod on the end of the motor. Place a cork on the rotor (find a good hole in the cork) and make sure it can rotate freely. Once it is working, duct tape the motor securely to the lid.
- Hot glue 4 corks to the other side of the lid to create “legs.”
- Turn it into an animal! Make a head and neck out of corks and glue onto bot. Add googly eyes Once it is working, duct tape the motor securely to the lid. Turn it on and watch it boogie!